What is chafing?
Chafing is an abrasive skin condition that occurs due to constant rubbing of skin against skin or clothing. Chafing occurs on body parts such as the thighs, underarms, groin, between the buttocks, and nipples. This skin condition causes the development of red sore patches on the affected body parts. These red sores cause pain in the affected areas. Groin chafing is equally common to both men and women. Although it may not be a terrible skin condition, chafing may hinder you daily activity due to the severe pain it causes between the thighs making walking painful. So chafing treatment is necessary before things get worse.
Causes of Chafing
Chafed skin, especially in the groin and inner thigh area is caused by:
• Constant rubbing or friction with clothes
• Contact with wet or damp clothes
• Infrequently changed diapers
• Sweating in the groin area during exercise
• Humid environment
• Being overweight thus leading to friction between the thighs
• Damp or dirty bedclothes
Symptoms of Chafing
• Constant irritation and itching
• Skin inflammation and skin reddening
• Blister formation
• Skin discoloration, patching, and mottling
• Presence of skin rashes oozing pus
• Formation of crusts
How to Prevent Groin and Inner Thigh Chafing
Since chafing results in severe pain that makes walking painful preventing it is wise as it helps you avoid the dreadful symptoms. These are the preventive measures you can take:
1# Stay dry
Sweating and friction accelerate chafing. Keeping the sensitive areas dry helps to prevent chafing. Apply talcum and alum powders on the areas prone to sweating and friction to keep sweat at bay. Alternatively, frequently change wet clothes.
2# Wear the right clothing
During exercise, wear proper-fitting, moisture resistant clothes such as those made of synthetic fibers. Avoid cotton undies while exercising since Cotton holds sweat. Compression shorts helps to reduce thigh friction and chafing at the same time. Again, exercise with less clothing. For men, you can consider exercising without a shirt or in a bra for women.
Lubricants help to reduce friction on the skin. Apply petroleum jelly or similar products on the sensitive areas. There are several types of skin lubricants available in the market that helps to prevent skin friction. Try the different brands to find the one that works best for you. For nipple chafing, apply petroleum jelly, patches or even place tape on the nipples to reduce friction.
How to Treat Chafing
Following preventive measures to get rid of chafing may be impossible. This is because you cannot avoid the daily activities that lead to chafing. As a result, you require chafing treatment to get past the painful condition.
There are two options for treating chafing. The first one is using anti-chafe products such as Monistat and Bodyglide. These products are effective and widely used since they are inexpensive and easy to find online.
Some people opt to natural home remedies. These are not only readily available but also cheap and can be effective in some cases. But you should be careful when deciding what to apply to your intimate areas. Here is a list of the safest home remedies that you can try.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Groin Area and Inner Thigh Chafing Rash
1# Cleaning the chafed area with water
Using lukewarm water, wash the affected area and pat it dry with a towel. Avoid rubbing it with a towel as this may cause further irritation to the chafing bumps.
2# Apply a lubricant
After washing and drying the chafed area, apply a lubricant. Aloe Vera serves as the best lubricant to apply on the thigh and groin area since it has curing properties thus helps to cure chafing bumps.
• To apply, grind Aloe Vera leaves and apply the juice on the affected area.
• Alternatively, mix ¼ cup of aloe Vera juice with one cup of green tea and four spoons of lavender water and apply the mixture on the affected area.
3# Lose weight
If chafing occurs as a result of being overweight, enroll in a weight loss program to lose the excess weight.
4# Cold compress
You can treat chafed skin by applying ice on the affected area. To apply, wrap some ice cubes in a towel and place it on the affected area for 5 minutes, take a break then reapply. Repeat this procedure at least twice until the chafed skin heals.
5# Take a soothing bath
• Make a soothing mixture by mixing 2 cups of baking powder with 10 drops of lavender oil. Add this mixture into lukewarm water in a bathtub. Soak in the mixture for 20-30 minutes then pat yourself dry with a clean, smooth towel.
• Alternatively, you can make a soothing mixture by mixing 1/3 cup of boiled green tea, 1/3 cup of chamomile, and 1/3 cup of dried marigold in 2 US quarts of water.
Oatmeal has strong medicinal properties since it contains avenanthramides which cure skin inflammation. Mix colloidal oatmeal with warm water to make a thick paste then apply the paste on the affected area.
7# Olive oil
Olive oil is a strong moisturizer since it is rich in vitamin E. As a result, using olive oil on the chafed skin helps in healing. To apply, first, clean the affected area then put a few drops of olive oil on your palm and apply directly on the affected area. Repeat at least twice a day for best results.
8# Neem (Azadiractha Indica)
Neem works as a cure for skin problems such as dry skin, irritation, psoriasis, and eczema.
• To apply, mix Neem paste with rose water in the ratio 1:1 and gently apply onto the affected area. Leave it to dry then wash off using cold water.
Turmeric is rich in curcumin; this makes it a potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Applying it on the affected area protects the skin from infections while reducing healing time. Additionally, it reduces the risk of scarring.
• To apply, mix 3 teaspoons of turmeric with 2 tablespoons of water, apply the mixture on the chafed area and leave it for 30 minutes then rinse off. Repeat at least twice a day.
Honey is a natural curative. Applying it on chafed area helps to heal the chafing rash. However, do not use it directly. Instead, dilute it using lukewarm water and apply using cotton or a soft cloth.
You may also like: